Joining the military is a very serious commitment and to ensure that you are committed as well, you should take (ASVAB) Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery exam. This is a timed test that is given in more than 14,000 Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) and schools nationwide.
Your score in the following four areas is very critical; Word Knowledge, Arithmetic Reasoning, Mathematics Knowledge and Paragraph Comprehension, they count towards your score in AFQT (Armed Forces Qualifying Test) which in turn determines whether you qualify to be enlisted in the U.S military. Score in other areas of ASVAB determines whether you are qualified enough for other military specialties. The higher your score is, the higher your chance of getting the job/specialty.
ASVAB exam consists of 8 individual subjects:
- General Science: tests biological and physical sciences.
- Arithmetic Reasoning: measures ability to solve arithmetic problems.
- Word Knowledge: measures the ability to identify synonyms of words and select their correct meaning as represented in a context.
- Paragraph Comprehension: measures ability to obtain and understand information from written materials.
- Auto and Shop Information: measures knowledge on tools, automobile and shop practices and terminologies.
- Mathematics Knowledge: Measures knowledge on basic high school mathematics principles.
- Mechanical comprehension: measures knowledge on physical and mechanical principles as well as the ability visualize how the objects works.
- Electronics information: It tests knowledge of electronics and electricity
Benefits of preparing for the ASVAB test:
The utmost benefit of preparing for the ASVAB test is that you will score higher hence increasing your chance of joining the U.S military. Other benefits of preparing for this exam are:
- You are able to identify your strengths and weaknesses through pre-assessments
Pre-assessments tests when preparing for this test helps you to gauge the areas that you need to work on and how much you know. This will in turn help you to determine how much time you should put aside to study on each subject.
- It stimulates exam taking experience
Preparing for the exam familiarizes you with what you should expect. Though the question will not be similar to what you studied, they cover almost the same content.
In order to score high in this test, preparation and concentration as you study is important. Preparation gives you an idea of what to expect and enables you to identify areas that need improvement.